Sunday 28 October 2007


Artist or Craftsman?




This is something I have always had a problem with. People tend to see Art as being somewhat 'better' or more 'respectable' than Craft. So if you say that you are an artist, it is perceived that you are somehow saying 'My work is better than mere craft'. It is for this reason I have always shied away from labelling myself as an artist. I prefer the label 'craftsman' too because it infers a level of quality to the work, which often 'modern' art seems to lack.

All of the work here was handcrafted by me.










Bronze effect Shield and Axe






Dragons head axe and shield







Bronze Helm




Art Doll - The Fool





Figure Carving - Nude




Thank you for getting this far down the page! While you are here you might as well take a quick look at my short video that I made to promote my work. Take a few seconds to let me know what you think. It works much better with the volume turned up.







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is both...A master crafsman and Artist, this is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Real good stuff Andrew. Your work is amazing. What can I say? WOW. I hope one day I can get close to your proficiency.

penandspindle said...

Do not let this go. It is a gift that needs to be worked.

Robert said...

Your work is excellent; you hardly need me to tell you!

I will not answer the vote below because it is misleading. We would get into "what is art" and that ends up with no real answer and lots of time wasted.

I believe that to be a good Artist you have to be good at your "craft". So a painter must have mastered painting so he can paint exactly what he wants to achieve. So the sculptor must master modelling or carving with the same result. It is the same for the Violinist and so on. But a fine violinist may play others works both technically well and with great passion and individualism but can he or she compose a great musical work?

You see we get into very heavy stuff very soon and is it worth arguing about?

What does matter is that you are creative and do it bloody well and enjoy it and hopefully make a living from it.
Good luck, I will be back if I may.

Anonymous said...

Yes mate, thats really very good stuff, im impressed! Where do u sell your items? cheers

Craftsman said...

Thanks flats...Go to http://craftsman.mosaicglobe.com
If there is a specific piece that you like let me know and I will tell you if its sold or not. If you would like anything made for you please email me with some details at that site.
Cheers.